- Minimum Power 9Ws
- Maximum Power: 300Ws
- Adjustment range: 5 stops (full power to 1/32nd power)
- Guide No. 160 (ft) @100 ISO
- Modelling lamp: 150W Halostar
- Modelling lamp adjustment: Infinite, from off to full power and anywhere between
- Modelling lamp dims whilst recycling
- Sync socket: Traditional sync socket for use with any radio trigger or PC cable, if required
- USB socket: For use with remote control/radio trigger
- Slave cell: Switchable on/off, located at top rear of unit
- Accessory fitting: Standard S fit
- Stand fitting: Standard 16mm / 5/8th inch fitting
- Power adjustment: Via control knob or Wavesync Commander remote control
- Modelling lamp adjustment: Via control knob
- Modelling lamp on/off: Via button or remote control
- Slave cell: Via button or remote control
- Open flash/test: Via button or remote control
- Cooling: built in fan
- Overheat protection in case of fan failure: Yes
- Tilt adjustment: Adjustable locking lever
- Umbrella fitting: Standard 8mm, with locking fitting
Setting 1 = 5090K
Setting 2 = 4915K
Setting 3 = 4915K
Setting 4 = 5000K
Therefore, total possible variation from different flash heads set to different power levels cannot exceed 4000 K, which is insignificant.
Variation between flashes at any given power setting is too small to measure.
Power setting dial:
Setting 1 = 1/32nd power
Setting 1.5 = 1/16th power
Setting 2 = 1/8th power
Setting 3 = 1/4 power
Setting 3.5 = 1/2 power
Setting 4 = Full power
Power adjustment is in 1/10th stop increments, and can be adjusted both by means of the adjustment dial and via the Wavesync Commander.
Please note that the Wavesync Commander is supplied separately.
The SmartFlash 3 has a built in slave cell, located at the rear top, where it reacts to a flash from any other flash head or flashgun, and fires the flash if required.
The Slave Cell can be set to either S1 or S2, or can be switched off if required.
When set to S1, the flash will fire in response to every flash that it sees
When set to S2, the flash will ignore a pre-flash, which typically occurs when using a built in camera flashgun or a hotshoe flashgun that fires a pre-flash, for example when the flashgun is using an intelligent metering system.
The Flash Tube has an expected lifespan of 100,000 flashes and replacements simply plug in, there is no need to return the unit to us for a replacement flash tube.
The SmartFlash 3 accepts a standard Edison Screw (E27) replacement modelling lamp, and its 150 watts of power is ideal for all types of studio photography.
The Swivel/Tilt adjustment is simple and positive, and allows the head to be fully tilted.
The SmartFlash 3 accepts all S-fit accessories and light shapers, and the accessory release is made from steel, it is located at the side of the flash head.
The Stand mount accepts the standard 16mm / 5/8" fitting, used by all lighting stands.
Shot by Shaheed Rahman
The All New SmartFlash 3
TINY, LIGHT AND CRAMMED WITH NEW TECHNOLOGY
Who Is This Flash Head Perfect For?
- Home studio photographers, who need an economical studio lighting solution that's also very versatile.
- Event Photographers, who need a capable, economical, rugged flash head.
- Creative portrait, artistic glamour photographers
- Still Life Photographers
- Product Photographers
Who Is This Flash Head NOT Perfect For?
- Fashion, dance and sports photographers who need to get pin-sharp photos of very fast moving subjects - Please choose a flash head from our SuperFast or SuperFast Pro range instead.
- Location photographers who need battery powered flashes. Please choose a flash head from our Location Flash Section instead
The Main Features And Specs:
5 Stops of Power Adjustment - (full power - 1/32nd power). A full 5 stops of adjustment opens the creative possibilities and allows larger apertures to be used when needed
Full Remote Control via USB Port - This allows you to set the controls on the SmartFlash 3 using our USB radio trigger and remote control set. As well as on the flash head.
Compatible with All Other Flashes - This means that you can use the SmartFlash 3 in conjunction with our other new technology flashes (SuperFast Pro,Atom, and future models) and control all of them individually from the transmitter fitted to your camera hotshoe.
3.5mm Sync Port - This allows you to use any 3rd party triggers.
S1/S2 Slave Options - The slave cell can be set to either respond to or to ignore the first flash, allowing it to be used with hotshoe flashguns that fire a pre-flash. The slave cell can also be switched off so that it doesn't flash in response to other people's flashes.
Fan cooled - An internal cooling fan prevents the risk of overheating. But just in case, there are also overheat protection systems integrated for extra peace of mind.
Precise Digital Control - displayed on the LCD display panel. The digital control knob adjusts the power setting and displays it on the LCD control panel.
150W Halostar Modelling Lamp - The SmartFlash 3 is supplied with a 150W modelling lamp. The power of the modelling lamp is fully adjustable. The modelling lamp also dims while recycling, so you'll have a visual confirmation that it's ready to fire again even if you've switched off the ready beep.
Small and light - With the head cap fitted, the SmartFlash 3 is just 30cm long, 13.2cm diameter, and weighs in at just 1.56kg.
F1/F2 Options - Holding the modelling lamp button for 3 seconds will allow you to change between F1 and F2. F1 causes the modelling lamp to turn off after 30 minutes. F2 causes the modelling lamp to turn off after 120 minutes.
|Box contents||1 x SmartFlash 3 Flash Head 1 x 150W Modelling Lamp 1 x Mains Cable 1 x Sync Cable 2 x Spare Fuses 1 x Protective Head Cap|
|Recycling speed||1.2 sec at full power 0.3 sec at minimum power|
|Guide No. (feet)||318|
|Guide No. (metres)||97|
|f/ with standard reflector @ 10'||f/31.8|
|f/ with 60 x 60cm softbox @ 10'||f/16.2|
|f/ with150cm softbox @ 10'||f/11.8|
|Colour temperature at minimum power||4755K|
|Colour temperature at full power||5090K|
|Flash duration at maximum power, t.1||1/900th second. This approximates to the action stopping potential of using a shutter speed outdoors of 1/900th second. The figure used by most sellers is based on a t.5 time, which produces a much higher figure but which is far less meaningful.|
|Colour temperature consistency||Variation between flashes is not more than 40K|
|Flash duration at minimum power, t.1||1/400th second. This approximates to the action stopping potential of using a shutter speed outdoors of 1/400th second. The figure used by most sellers is based on a t.5 time, which produces a much higher figure but which is far less meaningful.|
|Mains/battery||Mains, can also be used with any 3rd party battery system|
|Standard S-fit accessory mount||Yes|
|Power adjustment range||5 stops|
|Power adjustment display||Digital|
|Modelling lamp power||150 Watts|
|Modelling lamp dims during recycling||Yes|
|Switchable flash ready beep||Yes|
|Switchable slave sensor||Yes|
|Can ignore pre-flash||Yes, set to S2|
|Open flash/test button||Yes|
|Length of body (cm)||30|
|Remote control available||Yes|
|Umbrella socket||Yes, at base of unit. Accepts standard 8mm umbrella|
|Length of warranty||3 Years|
|Overheat protection system||Yes|